Monday, December 28, 2009

Yah, I know...but really, I have been busy!!!

I know it has been awhile since I last posted, but oh my gosh, have I been busy!

I am not talking about the normal pre-holiday hustle and bustle. Oh no. I am talking about where you take on a huge project prior to the holiday hustle and bustle knowing full well you have Christmas shopping, decorating, wrapping, etc to do! I must have been crazy...but sure felt great when it was done!

First though let me just say that the best Christmas presents are those that arrive early!!!

The story starts back when the eldest decided to stretch his wings and fly the coop. Unfortunately the "guest room" that he had been occupying would need to have a wrecking ball thorough cleaning before it could be occupied again. But before that could be started I get an SOS call from my previous employer. It seems as though he has been "asked to vacate the premises" due to "circumstances beyond his control". This is where it gets a little iffy...

My PE wants me to work for him again as soon as finances permit. He does not want to store the computer, printer, etc. in a non-climate controlled storage unit. He knows my home system is on it's last legs so he wants me to take and use the system.

My house is small. REALLY small. It is an old farm house built 4 up, 4 down. But a discussion is held between my hubby and I, and a decision is made to make the eldest's room into an office/sewing/guest room.

First though in order to get the stuff out of the bedroom, the computer desk had to be dismantled from out of the entry way, then stuff had to come out of the bedroom, carpets had to be cleaned (the cleaning machine worked great but what a beast!), then some office furniture from my PE had to be dismantled and transported to my house, and put back together and installed in the O/S/G Room. Then a new bed purchased, transported and installed as well, before I could decorate the tree which would be placed in the entry way! (the only way to move large things in or out of the house really is the front entry way)

So we started with a ridding out and discarding things that were really beyond salvaging. My hubby and youngest decided while they were at it they would clean out a few things from the basement and outbuilding too, as well as the old picnic table that wasn't safe any longer...


...marshmellows anyone?

Once that was completed we were able to get the desk set up...




After the desk was set up, and my sewing machine in place too, we determined that we could wait on purchasing and setting up the bed until the week after Christmas as my middlun would not be home until the first week of January. Now we could concentrate on Christmas shopping and wrapping and decorating. I don't know who originally said this but "Men plan and God laughs" would apply here!

Hubby went and picked out the tree all by himself, he did a great job didn't he?


We decorated it together.
We shopped together.
I wrapped by myself.
Hubby hates wrapping. I almost had it all done too. In the guest room. This would be the evening before Christmas Eve.

6:00AM Christmas Eve morning the phone rings. It is the Middlun and girlfriend:

Son: Hi Mom, How are you.
Me: I am fine, what's up?
Son: Nothing much, just calling to see if you are up.
Me: Huh? (I am not at my brightest at 6AM)
Son: Well look out in the driveway...
Me: What? (picture me peering out to the driveway, which is still dark without my glasses on)
Son: Look out the window in the driveway!
Hubby: What's the matter, what's going on?????
Me: Tim's here, he's home they are here!!!!! (mad dash scramble to at least find a bathrobe and try to look presentable, tripping over a basset while the other barks in the kennel and hubby asking me 101 questions that I don't have the answer too!) Oh my gracious, we haven't gotten the bed for the guestroom yet....

My life is a series in comic relief!

Anyways, my middlun and his girlfriend gifted me with the best present ever and I should add so did my youngest and his girlfriend and my Eldest. That was all my kids home for Christmas! And nobody even gave a hint, clue or let slip the suprise!

So back to the story, Hubby and My dad went to purchase and bring home a bed, I finished wrapping gifts to get them out of the way and the kids went to visit their Grandparents Switzers. (Who were just as suprised as I called to make sure they were home by saying Hubby would be dropping something off for them!) The guys brought and set up the bed, I made it up and then the guest room was presentable.

Here is some pictures of the finished room as well as some random Christmas pictures. I have to say though even with all the chaos this was one of the best Christmas's ever!







3 comments:

  1. No wonder I didn't see much of you on the puter those days!! Yep, the kids make the best presents of all!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOLOL I could just see the "awakening"! Very neat Christmas surprise! (and i bet God was laughing too!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness Tina, I am just in from work and trying to work my way through google reader which is why I am reading your posts backwards!
    I am exhausted reading about all your work over the holiday.
    It all seems to have worked out though with a lovely xmas.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete