Sunday, July 26, 2009

Dye Day

I had a great time on Saturday. Our monthly meeting of the Woolly Wonders Fiber guild met at members Dave and Patty's house for a day of dying our yarn, fleeces, or other items with natural dye derived from plants that are all around us everyday.

I tell you I have always admired what most people call weeds if they had a flower on them. But after Saturday I am looking at them in a whole new way. We had dye made from black walnut, queen anne's lace, jewel weed, sandalwood, yarrow, indigo, and some even made from female beetles (which I can't remember the name, but I was impressed!).

Here are some pics from the day. Let me apologize in advance for the quality as they were taken by cell phone. (Once again I forgot my camera, aaaarrrrrrggghhhhh.)



Dyeing pots.


This was a view from Dave and Patty's front porch.



Dave bringing out some more colors he had made up ahead of time.


Yarn and fibers soaking before dyeing.


Members enjoying lunch and the view during the break.


Yarns drying in the sun.

Look at all those different shades!


This is how mine turned out! The white up in the right corner, actually has a slight green tint to it. I think we had too much in the pot and the dye had been absorbed. I am going to re-do this yarn hopefully this week.
So much to absorb in a short period of time. In the meantime I am going to do some more research, it has definitely caught my interest!

4 comments:

  1. Great post Tina! All the pics almost makes me feel like I had been there! the colors are beautiful, and it looks like everyone had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow..... so very cool!! And I love that porch!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great colors Tina! I love looking at your photos of PA, I try to imagine the decent weather (we have been roasted). I am ready to move away from Texas and go where you can actually sit on the porch without suffering from a heat stroke!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You dyed yarn? How fantastic! I LOVE yarn -- I knit, but not all that much, but I am addicted to yarn ... it has such possibilities!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete